Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: M-19 x-over advise Todd and others.

  1. #1
    Inactive Member smac63's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 13th, 2008
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey folks,
    I have a nice pair of Altec model 19.I have recently replaced the stock caps with some cheap Bennic caps,with a .022 wima bypass cap as well.
    After about 6 hours of **** they are starting to sound quite good now.These caps were all I could get locally and thought I would try them out.
    I'm looking for advise to really upgrade the x-overs,or possibly purchase the Iconic m-19 x-over.
    I have e-mailed Iconic about the x-overs but havn't got a reply.

    All advise welcome.
    Rob Mac.

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,865
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Post

    In the 80's, I used to go through the factory-supplied crossover and replace the aging components with newer ones of better quality.

    The trick is making sure the replacement components matched the electrical characteristics of the originals, as not doing so will affect the sound quality of the Model 19 quite adversely.

    The other trick is to get rid of the stupid L-pads, which get dirty, burn, fail, or otherwise degrade the performance of the Model 19, and replace them with fixed-value resistors.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member gamalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    535
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I don't remember the details but thought that Iconic of today produced what might be called a super XO for the 19s.

    Foggy memories are a result of this disease I have with age C.R.A.F.T! @$%#!!!!

    Gary

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28236960 times.